- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup shortening or butter
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons warm water
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ¼ cup ground almonds made from L’Orenta Whole Natural Almonds
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, and sugar. Separate the eggs and refrigerate the whites. Mix in the egg yolks and almond extract. Dissolve the baking soda in the water, and stir into the mixture along with the milk.
- Combine the flour, cream of tartar and salt; gradually stir into the sugar mixture. Fold in the almonds.
- Roll the dough into a log about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut the dough into 1/8-inch-thick slices and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Brush with egg whites and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly colored. Let cool.
Indulge Your Senses!