3 egg whites
1-1/2 cups sugar
1-1/4 cups light corn syrup
1/4 cup water
3 cups sugar
3 cups light corn syrup
1/2 cup butter, melted
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups slivered almonds, toasted
1 teaspoon salt
– Heavily butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan; set aside. butter a large bowl; set aside. In a stand mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
– In a saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, corn syrup and water. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil (+/- 10 min) (If sugar crystals are present, cover and boil for 1-2 minutes to allow steam to wash crystals down.)
– Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft ball stage), about 6-8 minutes.
– With mixer running carefully and slowly add hot liquid in a steady stream over egg whites. Beat 10 minutes longer or until mixture holds its shape and is lukewarm. (Mixture will be begin to lose it's gloss.) Transfer to prepared bowl.
– For almond mixture, in a large saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and corn syrup. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil, about 15 minutes.
With a spoon, cook and stir over medium-high heat until a candy thermometer reads 275° (soft-crack stage), about 15 minutes.
– Pour over mixture in bowl (do NOT scrape saucepan). With a large wooden spoon, stir until blended. Combine butter and vanilla; gradually add to almond mixture until blended. Stir in almonds and salt until blended. Transfer to prepared pan.
– Let stand at room temperature for several hours or until firm.
– Cut into squares. Wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper if desired.
Yield: about 5-1/2 pounds.
Indulge Your Senses!